There are many reasons why students have difficulty decoding and comprehending text. These resources were compiled by literacy leaders across Kansas to help teachers find strategies to help all students.
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder (CHADD) - CHADD is a national organization that provides a support network for parents, continuing education about attention deficits, and resources to help children with attention deficits in educational settings.
- Identifying and Treating ADHD: A Resource for School and Home - Click to download.
- National Resource Center on AD/HD: This is the nation's clearinghouse for science-based information about all aspects of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD).
Autism and Asperger Syndrome
- TASN Kansas Administrator Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorders: This is a comprehensive document for supporting students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Autism Interventions and Strategies - This website contains resources including visuals to support teachers of students with autism.
- Autism Strategies for Teachers -Click to download
- Teaching Students with Autism: A Resource Guide for Schools (141 pages). - Click to download.
- UseVisualStrategies.com -- Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders and lots of other students with behavior or communication challenges tend to be visual learners. This website from Linda Hodgdon offers many strategies for visual learners.
- International Dyslexia Association
- Comparison Matrix of Multisensory, Structured Language Programs. This comparison enables you to compare similarities and differences among various approaches that are widely used throughout the United States. Click to downoad.
- Life Success for Children with Learning Disabilities - This guide identifies qualities of children with learning disabilities that predict success in later life. MOVE to Learning Disabilities instead of Dyslexia.
- Orton-Gillingham Approach
- All Kinds of Minds Learning Base provides insights into the learning challenges that students face. Take a close look at the skills that must be mastered, the neurodevelopmental factors that may influence student's success, and common obstacles that students may encounter on the road to mastery. We'll also offer hints and suggested activities that may help them minimize or overcome their differences in learning.
- Council for Exceptional Children is largest international professional organization dedicated to improving educational outcomes for individuals with exceptionalities, students with disabilities, and/or the gifted. This link will take you to resources listed by exceptionality.
- Learning Disabilities Association of America is a national organization of parents, professionals and individuals with learning disabilities. This site contains extensive information about learning disabilities.
- LDOnline is a wonderful interactive guide to learning disabilities and ADHD for parents, teachers, and children.
- Tourette Syndrome Information and Support Site
- Teaching Students with Tourette’s Syndrome provides practical strategies for helping students reach academic success.
- Information for Education Professionals: In addition to information on Tourette’s Syndrome, this site offers free materials.
Vision - Tracking Issues
- Tracking Issues: Live Ink text is designed to match the eye's physical ability to "see" with the brain's capacity to "comprehend." The result equals faster reading with greater comprehension. 2007 Walker Reader Technologies, Inc.
- Children's Vision Information Network - A website with extensive information on the impact of vision on students' learning and reading.